Reaching An Attitude of Gratitude

Thankfulness within the Long Reach Community

A family comes together on Thanksgiving to eat and celebrate the holiday. https://cpdfdev.landolakesinc.com/Blog/November-2017/land-o-lakes-thanksgiving-from-farm-to-fork

Having something, not having something, present, future, personal: five categories that one may be thankful for during the year.

The fourth Thursday of every November, families and friends alike come together to eat food, share their gratitude, and reflect on the past year. This day, known as Thanksgiving, has been celebrated as a holiday since 1863 when President Lincoln established it officially.

Long Reach High School makes it a point to share the love each Thanksgiving, as multiple clubs hold Thanksgiving food drives or Friendsgiving sessions. In addition to that, some of the Long Reach community takes time to reflect on what they are thankful for.

Some, such as Senior Abby Paul, are excited about simpler things, such as the fact that she is “having ham this year and not turkey.” Paul has been waiting for a Thanksgiving without turkey for a while, as turkey is not her favorite dish. 

Along the same track, Senior Justin Grier stated, “I’m thankful for music, friends, family, food. All things I can’t live without.” Grier has many things to be thankful for and included that these are the things he looks forward to when he wakes up every morning. 

Long Reach government teacher Mr. O’Brien is also thankful for his family. “Many things can come and go in your life. Family can be a constant, and a constant source of love and appreciation that we really need to receive and to give.”

“Many things can come and go in your life. Family can be a constant, and a constant source of love and appreciation that we really need to receive and to give.

— Mr. O'Brien

One student reflects more personally: “I’m thankful for my talent [of playing guitar] because it has made me wiser and has taken me to great places,” Sophomore Xavier Smith said. Many students and staff alike in the Long Reach community have a multitude of talents and are improving them each day. 

“I’m thankful for realizing how great I actually am,” Junior Amanda Towe said. Towe also reflected more on herself. She is happy to see the point she has come from to the point that she is at now. “I didn’t always have the love for myself that I have now.”

One Long Reach teacher, Ms. Sneller, thought about what she was thankful for in terms of Long Reach itself. “I am thankful for a job that I love, students who come to class with a willingness to engage and work hard, and colleagues who are like my second family. All of these things bring me satisfaction, joy, and energy.”

Some of the Long Reach community thought more critically, focusing on all of the things going on in this world.

“I’m thankful for my health, my grandkids, my kids, my coworkers. But above all, I’m thankful that all of these people are safe and healthy,” Long Reach paraeducator Ms. Walker indicated.

“I’m thankful for me and those around me being safe because, well, this world is crazy,” Senior Moktar Ka said.

As more random acts of violence occur, Ka thinks it can be difficult to survive in a world as such. He is happy that his family, friends, and self are safe and alive.

While some might take this day for granted, others do truly reflect on the things they are grateful for – even if they are minor. The Long Reach community has an abundance of little things to be thankful for. The little things in life count!

How to Be Thankful: The Recipe to Gratitude

Yield: As many people as the maker can reach!

Prep Time: 10 seconds

Cook Time: None!

Ingredients:

• 1 cup of thoughtfulness
  • 3 tablespoons of giving
  • 1 full heart
  • 5 teaspoons of words of thanks
  • Top it all off with a few leaves of contentment 

Directions:

• Mix the thoughtfulness, giving, loving, and thanks all together. 
  • After it is mixed completely, sprinkle the contentment over top.
  • It’s ready! Make sure to share with friends, family, and even strangers.