Dive into Uncharted Territory

Based off the hit video game, the released Uncharted film stars Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg

Corso%2C+N.+%282022%2C+February+24%29.+Uncharted+movie+review%3A+Enjoyable%2C+yet+lackluster.+The+Chimes.+Retrieved+June+10%2C+2022%2C+from+https%3A%2F%2Fcuchimes.com%2F02%2F2022%2Funcharted-movie-review-enjoyable-yet-lackluster%2F+

Corso, N. (2022, February 24). Uncharted movie review: Enjoyable, yet lackluster. The Chimes. Retrieved June 10, 2022, from https://cuchimes.com/02/2022/uncharted-movie-review-enjoyable-yet-lackluster/

Gracie Grabowski, Staff Writer

Have you ever been playing a video game and known it should be made into a movie? Your wish is granted with the February release of Uncharted, based on the video game Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End. Just like the video game, the movie is an adventure that takes the viewer through a carousel of magical places. 

The story begins with Victor Sullivan (Mark Wahlberg), recruiting a street smart kid, Nathan Drake (Tom Holland). Sullivan wants to find a 500 year old treasure and needs Nathan’s assistance. The two soon run into a problem when someone else gets interested in finding the new treasure: the villainous Santiago Moncada, played by Antonio Banderas, who will do anything in his power to stop them. If the pair can get the treasure, they stand a chance at receiving a 5 billion dollar cash reward. 

The nail-biting music puts viewers on edge and forces them to wonder what happens next while watching. “Will they or won’t they?” is the question running through the viewers’ minds as they watch the heroic film. 

Good Morning America. (n.d.). Review: ‘uncharted’ is a bromance with snappy twists that add up to a fun ride. Good Morning America. Retrieved June 10, 2022, from  https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/culture/story/review-uncharted-bromance-snappy-twists-add-fun-ride-82882752

After audiences learned that Holland and Wahlberg were to play opposite each other, especially in an action movie, there was an uproar of excitement leading up to the film. Viewers expected Holland’s and Wahlberg’s incredible acting background to create an exciting film, but the lackluster product left many disappointed, with many questioning the movie’s worth, despite the accomplished actors involved. 

“I really liked Tom [Holland] the best,” Sophomore Haylie Thomas acknowledged, “But I wish that the movie had more relations to the video games.” Thomas’ thought has been agreed upon across the world. There are mixed feelings about how much the movie really related to the video game, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End.

As an adaptation of the video game, the film also includes exciting events that make you question the entire movie like when everybody becomes traitors and more. Some feel that the movie is too far off from the actual game that it is supposedly based on.

Makayla Liverpool, a sophomore, said, “I wish that the actors who played the characters were more aware of the game, with some people even outraged with the inaccuracies, wishing that there were more elements from the game that were incorporated with the movie itself.” 

James Berardinelli, a critic on Rotten Tomatoes has said that, “Uncharted is bland and disappointing without being outright disastrous.” Berardinelli is not the only person who has been disappointed in the production. There has been an uproar on how disappointing this seemingly amazing movie actually was. On the other side, Micheal Compton from Bowling Green Daily News says, “This is a fun first step, with Holland and Wahlberg proving to be a delightful pairing.” The movie has gotten a lot of coverage, but a lot is not the good kind. It’s safe to say that the new movie Uncharted has gotten lots of people talking about it, but only you can decide if this adaptation is worth the experience.