Find Your Calling

New LRHS Clubs

With over 40 clubs at LRHS, it would seem almost impossible to add any more to the existing list, right? Wrong! Many new clubs have been added this year, providing new possibilities to get involved.

Through the Asian Cultural Society, Asian students at Long Reach are given an environment where they can interact with others from similar backgrounds. Sponsor and French teacher Mrs. Li stated that the main purpose of the club is to “explore different aspects of Asian culture.”

“There are so many Asian students at Long Reach. They are such a big part of the population, but they aren’t equally represented,” added Li when discussing the importance of the club. Despite its name, the Asian Cultural Society is open to anyone wanting to learn more about cultures of Asia. The Asian Cultural Society meets in room 210 every other Friday.

• Asian Cultural Society prepares gimbap, a tradional Korean dish, here made with steamed rice, seaweed, egg, and beef. Photo courtesy of Maryam Chaudhry

• Freshly created gimbap. Photo courtesy of Maryam Chaudhry

• Minwoo Kim, ACS member, celebrates his creation and culture. Photo courtesy of Maryam Chaudhry

• Asian Cultural Society Members creating traditional Korean dishes. Photo courtesy of Maryam Chaudhry

Another new addition to the LRHS family of clubs is the Red Cross Club. Founder and Sophomore Rakshita Balaji mentioned that “the club focuses on service within five categories: disaster and emergency preparedness, service to the armed forces, blood drives, fundraising, and international services.” By using these five categories, the Red Cross is able to help improve society.

In the Red Cross Club, members help the community by volunteering and are able to receive service hours. “By volunteering, students find that feeling of gratitude and it makes them feel better about themselves since they are helping others,” stated Balaji.

A newly founded political club at Long Reach is Young Democrats of America. In this club, Democrats and Republicans are both welcome. Politically active students discuss the events occurring in the government and how more students can be encouraged to speak out on issues that matter to them. “The purpose of YDA is to educate students on political events and issues. It also allows for students to become involved in progressive issues,” noted Founder and Sophomore Micaela Latimer.

Through the YDA, Democrats have a safe environment where they can discuss their beliefs. Latimer adds, “The club gives students a platform to show and advocate for the political causes that they want to be involved in.” Young Democrats of America meets on the second and fourth Tuesday of the month in room 242.

For those interested in starting a new club, the process is very simple. First, go to the Athletic Director’s office to find Mr. Joe Thomas and get the form needed to start a club. On the form, there are basic questions about the club, such as why the school would benefit from the club, and what the club will do. You also need the signatures of an SGA sponsor (Ms. Gratton or Ms. Hunter), a signature from the principal, and a signature from your sponsor. After you have completed the form and given it to Mr. Thomas, he will let you know whether your club is approved.

New clubs are essential in giving a voice to students and allowing them to explore their individuality. As more join the family of clubs, all LRHS students should have a place which speaks to them.